Jul 10, 2009

Failure is a learning tool... right?

I thoroughly enjoy parades, especially July 4 parades.  Being a patriotic American, it is fun to see some celebration of our country.  I will not bother to rant here about the lack of knowledge of our great history amongst our citizenry, because I would only show my own ignorance.  

Photographically, parades are a bit of an overload.  My goal for shooting at the Kaufman, TX (my other hometown) parade was to pre-visualize a shot, and then make it happen.  Here is how that played out.  The good news is that I have plenty of time to practice between now and the next parade.

It was a very bright Saturday morning.  People were hanging out in shady spots, so I found a spot where the trees also shaded the road, with the idea of evening out the exposure.  

Sitting on one side of the street were two ladies and a boy, all with American flags.  Perfect!  Mom and son waving flags at passing parade..  perfect photo op.

At the front end of the parade, the newly re-elected mayor Dr. Bill Fortner cruised by in a convertible.

Take 1.  How many times have I said "pick a good background" on this blog?  Lots.
Sooo,  I should have found another shot and moved on.  Add to the busy background the white of the shutters, and the camera's meter has me underexposing the shady spots that I looked so hard for.
ParadeBlog-102
Take two..  Flag over face..
ParadeBlog-103
Take 3..  well, at least you can see the mayor and it even tells you on the car who he is.  
ParadeBlog-104

Next up is the County Clerk, in a wonderful classic red Ford truck.  Still with the metering issue uncorrected, and I'm not really sure what I focused on, maybe the bricks of the house.  Focus is sort of important, you know?  Total snapshot failure with pretty colors.
ParadeBlog-101

I took some time to review at that point and saw that the house was just too much, but I still wanted to get something decent from the situation.

One of my favorite things to do is motion blur with slow shutter speeds, so I set Shutter Priority mode (Tv) to 1/10 of a second, and waited for the next float.  Of the five images I took this way before heading up the street, this was my favorite.
ParadeBlog-106
I like the waving flags, motion of the float and feel of the photo....   but I can't do anything about the very distracting background.  Next year, I will take my own advice.

My favorite shot from the morning came before the start of the parade as the folks from B&L Farms got their big green wagon ready to go.  There is a lot going on in this photo.. it really puts you in the atmosphere I think.  
ParadeBlog-100

You can also get an idea of the mule's feelings about being dragged out to go parading through town on a hot July morning.

Now think up a picture, then go make it.. you will definitely learn something, even if it doesn't turn out like you wanted.

Happy Shooting,

don j

No comments:

Post a Comment